Thursday, October 22, 2015

Summer Battle Wounds

 I love scrapbooking happy memories and stories for my family, but I think that it is just as important to document those moments that are harder to process, and think about. This is one of those memories.
 A few summers ago, our oldest went to spend the night with a friend. Things were just going along, when the mom of this friend called me. I could hear in her voice how scared she was, she could barely even speak to tell me what had happened.
Our girl had had a pretty bad stumble while riding a bike...she ended up going over the handle bars, down there gravel hill. It was hard to tell at this point how bad it was...so we loaded her up and went to the emergency room. She ended up being extremely lucky...scrapes, bruises, and a chipped tooth..but thankfully nothing too serious. It's still hard to think about or look at these photos even now though.


The summer battle wounds title came from the clever mind of this little lady in the photo. I never would have thought of that one, but she came up with it, and I knew it was perfect. I tried to keep this one a pretty light layout, yes I wanted to get this documented, but I didn't want it to be heavy and dark where the main focus was on the wreck and the injuries...I more wanted the focus to be on how grateful we were that it hadn't turned out worse.


I used the Felicity Jane "Here's the Scoop" kit for this. My daughter loved the colors and patterns in this kit, so she helped me put this together. I think that is important also, especially on moments like this one, that were hard for her to process, to let the kids have a role in how there lives are documented and remembered.


I used some word stickers from the I am collection from simple stories...the colors were a little off, but the sentiments they had were perfect to describe her and this moment.
Don't be afraid to scrapbook those hard moments too. They help to shape our lives, and make us who we are. :)

Have a good one, and take time to create something you love.

No comments: